[Mediawiki-l] new user to mediawiki has question

Alexis Moinet alexis.moinet at fpms.ac.be
Tue Aug 21 08:33:53 UTC 2007

Jim Hu wrote :
>> 4) How do I assign a superuser so that no one else can
>> edit pages?
>
> This is kind of missing the point of using a wiki.

Indeed.

Anyway, to do this, you can open the file LocalSettings.php (in your installation folder) and add these lines (*after* : require_once( "includes/DefaultSettings.php" ); ) :

$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['edit']            = false; /* non logged user won't be allowed to edit */
$wgGroupPermissions['user'    ]['edit']            = false; /* logged in user won't be allowed to edit */

$wgGroupPermissions['foo'    ]['edit']            = true;  /* users that belongs to the "foo" group will be allowed to edit */

then, in your wiki, you put the user you want to be 'superuser' in the 'foo' group.

For that you need to login as a bureaucrat (which is also a group of user of the wiki). The first account you created during installation of the wiki is a bureaucrat and its default name is WikiSysop.

--> log in as WikiSysop (note that, normally, you cannot edit anymore)

Then go to [[Special:Specialpages]] and at the end of the list of special pages, click on User rights management (which links to [[Special:Userrights]] page of the wiki)

Type the name of the user you want to be a superuser, click on the button "Edit User Groups", select 'foo' in the right-hand list and click on the button "Save User Groups"