[Mediawiki-l] Is dynamic content searchable?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 07:11:57 UTC 2007

On 16/08/07, Rob Church <robchur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/08/07, Flip Mozart <flipmozart at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >   Hi!  I'm writing a custom tag that fetches data from external sources and embedded in a page (view) "on the fly".  My question is: would the dynamic data retrieved in such a fashion be searchable using MediaWiki's keyword search (or perhaps Semantic MediaWiki's Semantic Search)???
>
> *In theory*, if you can insert the appropriate data into the search
> index, then yes, it would be searchable. The main issue with this is
> that if you're fetching data on the fly, and if this data is
> constantly changing, then you're going to run into difficulties
> keeping that index current without performing a (potentially
> expensive) update on each page view.

I noticed that when a template is used to categorize a page, changing
the category in the template does not recategorize the page until the
page is next viewed. Does this mean that the category information in
the database is updated similarly (per page view), or is this
mechanism somehow smart, only updating the category information on the
first view?

A similar system for indexing the 'rendered content' of a page,
including text from templates, would be a nice feature.

> Rob Church

hello