[Mediawiki-l] Is dynamic content searchable?

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Aug 16 15:33:18 UTC 2007

On Donnerstag, 16. August 2007, Dan Bolser wrote:
> On 16/08/07, Flip Mozart <flipmozart at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >   Hi!  I'm writing a custom tag that fetches data from external sources
> > and embedded in a page (view) "on the fly".  My question is: would the
> > dynamic data retrieved in such a fashion be searchable using MediaWiki's
> > keyword search
>
> I don't think so. If you embed template X in page Y, the text in the
> template only creates hits to page X.
>

> (or perhaps Semantic MediaWiki's Semantic Search)???

No, neither. The semantic property data is stored with the article and won't
change in sync with potential external sources. One could consider hacking
this into the system (SMW obviously can store structured data and search for
it -- but one would need to make a mechanism that updates this data even
outside of the normal editing operations in the wiki).

-- Markus