[Mediawiki-l] page protection through encryption?

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 15 13:14:05 UTC 2007

> Yes, it would probably be doable in a corporate environment, however I
> imagine there are better ways of doing it

Well, I haven't come across any so far; I haven't tried all of the
security extensions, but that's mainly because it seems that they all
are vulnerable to workarounds.

Only the PageSecurity extension seems to be truly secure. But that one's
cumbersone to set up and, more importantly, not easy to use - plus it
doesn't seem to be actively maintained anymore (no update for MW 1.10).

> Is there any great need for
> the restricted pages to be alongside the unrestricted ones? Put them
> on a password protected server and be done with it.

You mean set up a separate wiki for every single group (say, one for
"confidential", one for "secret", and a third for "top secret")?
Or maybe there is a way to use .htaccess for this ... although, that
would be very vulnerable to transclusion workarounds!?

-- F.