[Mediawiki-l] Threaded discussion pages?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:14:35 UTC 2007

> The naming is irrelevant as long as we properly retain the association
> with threads & talk pages. This should already be the case, but the UI
> is currently confusing when you land on a single-comment page or
> thread; that's a known issue.

At the moment the talk pages have what look at first glance to be
random numbers in grey after the names of the threads (these numbers
are, in fact, the number that is appended to the name of the thread to
make it unique). That's going to confuse people. Another thing which
will confuse people is that if you make a thread with the subject "Foo
1", and there are no other threads called "Foo 1" you would expect the
page to be "Thread:Foo_1", however if there is a thread called "Foo"
with a reply, or two threads called "Foo", then actually you'll end up
with "Thread:Foo_1_1". Using wiki pages for comments suggests that
they are intended to be human-usable, but the current naming system
means they are not. You either need a naming system that makes
complete sense (eg. subpages), or one that makes no sense (eg.
autoincrementing id numbers). One that makes some sense but not much
is just going to cause confusion.