[Mediawiki-l] Error running update.php on upgrade from MW 1.5.5 to 1.10.1

Justin Niedbala jcniedbala at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:20:51 UTC 2007

I wasn't able to find anything about this anywhere, my apologies if this has
already been addressed:

I just upgraded from 1.5.5 to 1.10.1, the update.php ended with an error,
but the site seems to be upgraded and operating normally.

Current Versions:

   - MediaWiki <http://www.mediawiki.org/>: 1.10.1
   - PHP <http://www.php.net/>: 5.2.1 (cgi)
   - MySQL <http://www.mysql.com/>: 4.0.27-standard-log

I followed the upgrade process as follows:
-'upgraded' to php5 by using a .htaccess file (shared hosting running php4
and 5)
-wiki is not live so didn't lock the database
-backup and copy files
-ran 'php5 maintenance\update.php'

Here is a snippet of the last few lines written to the console:

Creating templatelinks table...
Populating...
Done. Please run maintenance/refreshLinks.php for a more thorough
templatelinks
update.
No img_type field in image table; Good.
Already have unique user_name index.
...user_groups table already exists.
...user_groups is in current format.
Making wl_notificationtimestamp nullable... ok
Adding timestamp key on logging table... ok
Setting page_random to a random value on rows where it equals 0...changed 0
rows
Checking for additional recent changes indices...
...index on ( rc_namespace, rc_user_text ) not found; creating
...index on ( rc_user_text, rc_timestamp ) not found; creating
Creating redirect table...ok
Checking for backlinking indices...
Checking if pagelinks index pl_namespace includes field pl_from...
...index pl_namespace on table pagelinks has no field pl_from; adding
Creating page_restrictions table...ok
Migrating old restrictions to new table...ok
Deleting old default messages (this may take a long time!)...Done
Checking site_stats row...A database query syntax error has occurred.
The last attempted database query was:
" SELECT  *  FROM `etsite_stats`  WHERE ss_row_id = '1'  LIMIT 1  "
from within function "do_stats_init".
MySQL returned error "2006: MySQL server has gone away (dbxxx.xxxxx.xxx)"

After this, I tested out the site, and it seems to be upgraded correctly.
New features are functioning correctly and nothing is obviously broken.

Did the upgrade fail, or is this not a critical error message?

Thanks in advance,
Justin