[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki Extension Manager... XML function, lib, or mw code?

Minute Electron minuteelectron at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 12 08:40:06 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, DanTMan <dan_the_man at telus.net> wrote:

> I was starting a new Wiki-Tools SVN repo to replace the in page code on
> our wiki you'd copy into files for extensions I've made. And I thought
> of throwing in some of the extra bits my ideas for a MediaWiki Extension
> manager extension would need. So I am thinking of putting together a
> Extension Manager. I thought of using INI files for the settings and
> throwing those through PHP's core ini parsing functions. But INI doesn't
> fit the multiple values and other things that would be used in the
> configuration data files for the Extensions read by the Extension
> manager. So I decided to use XML.
> But what code should I use to parse the XML files? Is there a standard
> PHP function set/class for parsing XML that is widely used on most
> servers (I don't want to require PHP to be reconfigured with another add
> on just to run the Extension Manager), some PHP library I could include
> in the manager, or some MediaWiki code for parsing XML?
> What would be the best thing to use? I'm not sure what PHP functions or
> anything are widely used and would be supported by most people. I just
> share JaeSharp's Virtual Hosting, so because we can recompile PHP with
> anything we need I don't know much about what php restrictions people
> may have being on a shared WebHost.
>
> --
> ~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of The Gaiapedia, Wikia Graphical Entertainment
> Project, and Wiki-Tools.com

It is fairly simple to parse XML via PCRE, but I wonder what is wrong with
using the database for the settings. The tables could be created on the fly
so you wouldn't have to worry about schema changes. Also PHP code is a good
way of storing settings, you can then use eval() to get back at them later.
Regarding restrictions, generally all extensions except the most popular and
those needed (e.g. mysql) aren't available. I made a phpinfo() on my shared
host <http://idkb.eu/phpinfo.php> that should give you some help since it
lists all extensions.
MinuteElectron.