[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki Extension Manager... XML function, lib, or mw code?

DanTMan dan_the_man at telus.net
Sun Aug 12 00:45:27 UTC 2007

I was starting a new Wiki-Tools SVN repo to replace the in page code on
our wiki you'd copy into files for extensions I've made. And I thought
of throwing in some of the extra bits my ideas for a MediaWiki Extension
manager extension would need. So I am thinking of putting together a
Extension Manager. I thought of using INI files for the settings and
throwing those through PHP's core ini parsing functions. But INI doesn't
fit the multiple values and other things that would be used in the
configuration data files for the Extensions read by the Extension
manager. So I decided to use XML.
But what code should I use to parse the XML files? Is there a standard
PHP function set/class for parsing XML that is widely used on most
servers (I don't want to require PHP to be reconfigured with another add
on just to run the Extension Manager), some PHP library I could include
in the manager, or some MediaWiki code for parsing XML?
What would be the best thing to use? I'm not sure what PHP functions or
anything are widely used and would be supported by most people. I just
share JaeSharp's Virtual Hosting, so because we can recompile PHP with
anything we need I don't know much about what php restrictions people
may have being on a shared WebHost.

--
~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of The Gaiapedia, Wikia Graphical Entertainment Project, and Wiki-Tools.com