[Mediawiki-l] Plugin: Require HTTPS for SpecialUserlogin

Jim Wilson wilson.jim.r at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 17:01:01 UTC 2007

> Another issue seems to be that because cookies are protected under
> SSL, once the client is directed back to the non-SSL site they cannot
> access any cookie created during the login. This is easily disabled
> but I'm wondering if it is wise to do so.

When a server sets a cookie in an HTTP response, it can optionally be marked
'secure' - if so, the browser will only return the cookie on subsequent
requests IF the connection is over HTTPS.

Cookies may be marked secure or not independently of whether the request is
HTTP or HTTPS.  It sounds like in your case, the server is adding the
'secure' flag.

More info available here: http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/#3.3

Good luck!

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)