[Mediawiki-l] Turn off caching for a specific page?

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Sat Aug 11 06:22:53 UTC 2007

The use case is the polling/voting extension Rob and I have been
discussing off-list.  The prototype is in use on this page (warning:
takes a long time to load):

	http://ecoliwiki.net/colipedia/index.php/
Are_these_really_transcription_factors%3F

The poll is set to give a please log in message instead of the voting
menu and button if a non-logged in user clicks the vote button.  This
state gets cached and after logging in, a purge is needed to see the
voting stuff again.  In the example page, the results are shown by
default, but I suspect people would prefer something that shows
results only if you've already voted... which would be another state
that the page would get stuck in due to caching.

If a user clicks vote, a hidden input sends a purge to update the
totals.  But anything that locks the polls into an unusable state
gets stuck.

In this particular use case, the really long ballot has to be on a
regular page instead of a special page because we want people to be
able to add comments and references.  Invalidating the cache seemed
like a solution even though I'd rather have it pull from the cache if
users are not clicking on the vote button.  I think the ideal
behavior would be for the page to use the cache for a new view, to
update the cache for a new vote, and to show something that doesn't
get cached for an illegal vote.  Perhaps this is a job for AJAX or
non-AJAX javascript and I should leave caching alone?

Jim