[Mediawiki-l] Putting comments inside of links to test extensions?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 02:43:52 UTC 2007

Can you put a comment inside a double bracket link that isn't visible
to casual users, but is (of course) visible when editing the page?

Example: Bob is married to  [[Jenny {Jenny is an elf}]]

where the link would say "Jenny" and link to "Jenny"? Obviously, {}
doesn't work, but is there any syntax that does?

My goal: I'm testing a new MediaWiki extension, but need the pages to
remain compatible w/ a regular MediaWiki. I'd like to do:

Bob is married to [[Jenny {Jenny::category::elf}]]

where a regular MediaWiki server shows this the same as [[Jenny]]
(except when editing), but my test MediaWiki server parses into the
comment and does something w/ it.

That way, I could have the exact same data on both servers, but have
it parsed on my experimental extension-testing server.