[Mediawiki-l] Short URL reflecting wiki structure, no www

Sean O'Connor sean at transabled.org
Wed Aug 8 23:16:53 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Frederik Dohr <fdg001 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Null article path is evil (i.e. risky/dangerous); it causes confusion
> between wiki pages and server files/folders.
>
> For example, try accessing the robots.txt or favicon.ico (for the
> uninitiated, those are two rather crucial files that should be present
> and accessible on any Web server):
>       http://docs.jquery.com/robots.txt
>       http://docs.jquery.com/favicon.ico
> That will lead you to the respective wiki page, instead of to the file
> you actually needed.

Ok.  I buy that.  I think it's a shortcoming of the system, but that's
for another discussion.

So, assuming I move everything to /wiki, and before I worry about
short urls, what is the best way to ensure that when someone types
just the domain name (http://mydomain.com ) they load the wiki? an
htaccess redirect in the domain root?  Seems like that might impact on
SEO maybe?  Dunno, open to suggestions.

On 8/9/07, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://mydomain.com/category/subcategory/article
> > or
> > http://mydomain.com/category/article
> >
> > This obviously addresses those pages which belong in categories and/or
> > subcategories only.
>
> This isn't really categories. I think you're searching some kind of
> subpages (which you need to enable and may not do everything you expect
> them to)

No, I am not talking about subpages (well, i don't think I am).  If I
have a category:people and an article 'Joe Q Public' that belongs to
that category, i'd like the url to be /people/joe_q_public.

As someone else pointed out, this may become a problem if the article
belongs to more than one category though.

Sean