[Mediawiki-l] texvc

Bruno Goncalves bgoncalves at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:54:44 UTC 2007

Dear All,

Two things I'd still try:
>         - I remember having read somewhere that one of the programs
> involved
> (possibly dvipng)
>            is bad at reporting errors. Just to be sure, make the tmp
> and dest directory world writeable.

I had tried that already... it's one of the first things I check.

           If this fix the problem you have an issue w/ the user-id
> of the Apache server or the PHP
>            interpreter (which I believe could be different depending
> on (F)CGI vs. mod_php, but here
>            we're well outside my knowledge).
>
>         - try to replace texvc with a shell script that echoes the result
> you get from the command line.
>           This way you can try to isolate the problem and know for sure
> whether it is a subprocess communication
>            issue.

setting $wgTexvc to be '/bin/echo' I get:

TeX: /bin/echo '/var/www/html/wiki/images/tmp'
'/var/www/html/wiki/images/tmp' '
n^2' 'UTF-8'
TeX output:
 /var/www/html/wiki/images/tmp /var/www/html/wiki/images/tmp n^2 UTF-8
---

As expected.
Is there anyway of forcing texvc to be more verbose and say exactly what it
is trying to do, which programs is calling, etc?
Anybody else has any ideas?
Thanks!

Bruno

Bruno Miguel Tavares Goncalves, MS