[Mediawiki-l] Need Mediawiki to log users out at browser closure

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:58:11 UTC 2007

> I am noticing an irritating situation whereby my users are falling out of
> sync with their login status between Drupal and Mediawiki. The AuthDrupal
> extension is working A OK but we have Drupal setup so as to use session
> based cookies. Once the user closes their browser they are logged out.
> Mediawiki does not, currently, act this way. So, when a user re-opens their
> browser they are still logged in with Mediawiki but not with Drupal.
>
> I have looked throughout Wikimedia but not seen any references to this type
> of configuration. Does anyone know where this can be changed/configured? I
> am not sure if it is configured within Mediawiki or AuthDrupal.
>
> I did find the $wgCookieExpiration page and am wondering whether this can be
> used by perhaps setting to zero?

Basically, you are looking for a way to disable the "Remember me"
option for everyone? It would be fairly easy to do by modifying the
php (just comment out the appropriate code), I don't know if there is
a setting to do it automatically, though. I don't know if setting the
cookie expiration to zero would work - it might cause the cookies to
expire immediately, rather than at the end of the session, thus making
logging in effectively impossible.