[Mediawiki-l] Problem Converting SVG Images to thumb with imagemagick

Schmid, Wolfgang W.Schmid at t-systems.com
Tue Aug 7 15:19:53 UTC 2007

Hello list,
I've Installed several wikis on unix and linux servers.
With Sun Servers (Solaris 9) I've a problem to build png thumbnails from
svg images with imagemagick.
Some thumbs are ok, some are disordered, in some cases the result is
only
a white/transparent picture.

My configuration:
mediawiki: 1.9.3
mysql: 5.0.41
apache: 2.0.59
gd: 2.0.34
php: 5.2.3
imageMagick: 6.3.0

To simplify system adminstration I prefer to install precompiled
packages from SunFreeware if available.

I tried to convert some images manually, i.e.
/usr/local/bin/convert -background white -geometry 200 image.svg
image.svg.png
The result is the same as with mediawiki.

Older versions of imageMagick (i.e 6.2.3 on Linux) work fine.
Does anyone know if version 6.3.0 of imageMagick is buggy?

Is it a better solution to compile the newest version from source or
compile any of the other tools
like Sodipodi or Inkscape?
Which tool is used in MediaWiki/Wikipedia?

On
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows#ImageM
agick
you can read:
"PHP now comes with GD enabled by default. This will work for
thumbnailing,
and will not require any configuration or modification. Therefore t's
highly
recommended to not install ImageMagick, since it is known to be
unstable."

I think this should be valid for unix too. Is this a joke?

Thanks for your help

Wolfgang