[Mediawiki-l] Greek letters: char vs glyph?

Sylvain Machefert iubito at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 06:48:45 UTC 2007

I think you'd better tweak the search. If you enter &alpha it'll find
the alpha search, but it will print & alpha ; when you'll view your article.

I've modified the search process on my site.
"Jovano Jovanke" is a well known song from Macedonia, pronounced iovano...
(the "j" is pronounced "i"). So everybody write it a different way : ïovano,
iovano, jovano... if you search for "iovano" you'll find "jovano" which is
the right orthography.
http://tousauxbalkans.jexiste.fr/index.php5?search=iovano&go=Consulter

the same with a lot of diacritics letters no Latin-1, and also cyrillic...
"iovano" search also for "Йовано"... it's not yet perfect, not finished, it
was hard work

2007/8/7, Jim Hu <jimhu at tamu.edu>:

> Sigh....  my attempt to get Charinsert to insert html &alpha; etc
> instead of the character was a miserable failure.
> Putting &alpha; in charinsert still inserts a lovely greek letter,
> but it doesn't show up as &alpha;  in the wikitext.
> I'd like it to be saved in the database as &alpha; so that searching
> for "alpha" finds it.
>
> I'm guessing that I have to tweak something.  Anyone else run into this?
>
> Jim
>

> On Aug 6, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Jim Hu wrote:
>
> > I'm playing with CharInsert and edittools on EcoliWiki, and noted
> > that greek letters are inserted as characters rather than as html
> > glyphs, e.g.
> >
> >       α vs. &alpha;
> >
> > I was thinking of switching to the glyphs because it seems like
> > searching for alpha-something (common in chemistry and biochemistry)
> > is easier than searching for α-something.  Are there important
> > reasons I should not do this?
> >
> > Jim
> > =====================================
> > Jim Hu