[Mediawiki-l] Using external HTML Tidy (was: #if not working properly even with parserfunctions extension)

Azurite azurite at seventh-star.net
Sun Aug 5 22:59:50 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I've been trying to get Infoboxes to work on my MW (1.10) for some time
now, and got most everything working-- templates, parserfunctions
extension, and so on. I was trying to get HTML Tidy, but because I'm on
a shared server, my host won't enable the PHP version of Tidy. They keep
suggesting I get a VPS or dedicated client, but I'm just a single
end-user, so that option's not really financially feasible for me.

They said: Unfortunately we cannot offer any sort of special PHP support
if the cPanel/WHM system which is installed on the shared server does
not support the option. This is our policy as custom software
configurations cause several issues for our shared hosting clients down
the road.

Because of this, we can only offer such support to you if you decide to
go with VPS or dedicated hosting, as we allow any customizations which
are possible for such hosting environments which are your own and not
shared with others.

I know that the Sourceforge release of Tidy is multi-platform and is a C
library, but I wouldn't have the first idea of what to do with the files
after downloading. Do they need compiling into a specific format? Is
there a particular way of uploading them (a certain place) or way of
executing a particular file/files from MW? I know my server runs Linux,
but I don't want to run the risk of damaging anyone else's portion on
the server, if that's the concern my host has with me using an external
version of Tidy. Of course, if that's not a risk at all, I'd like to see
if I can get it working, just so I can get my infoboxes up and running.

Is it doable, or should I just give up on ever having infoboxes? Is
there a way to get them working without Tidy?
-Azurite