[Mediawiki-l] install can't find eAccelerator although it is installed

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 14:42:26 UTC 2007

On 03/08/07, DanTMan <dan_the_man at telus.net> wrote:
> If you are trying to get the data cache to work to cache MediaWiki
> stuff. What else do you have installed? Do you have Memcached? Do
> remember that eAccelerator is a mere backup for doing this kind of
> thing. If you have Memcached (recomended) like we do, then MediaWiki
> will try to use Memcached, then whatever data cache is in your optimizer
> (eAccelerator, Turk MMcache, etc...), and then fall back to it's own
> caching methods. We have Memcached and eAccelerator installed, and
> because of Memcached I've never seen anything get into eAccelerator in
> my life. I wouldn't consider it a proper place to be doing data caching.

The fallback caches can be quite useful for smaller wikis, although
since one still needs to be running in an environment where they have
more control than your average cheap hosting, it's possible that you
may prefer memcached. However, the eAccelerator and APC user caches
are fine for single application server environments, provided that
nobody else is running scripts on your machine.

I'll wager that most small-to-medium wikis benefit more from the
bytecode caching features of APC or eAccelerator than having a
slightly faster object cache available.

Rob Church