[Mediawiki-l] install can't find eAccelerator although it is installed

DanTMan dan_the_man at telus.net
Fri Aug 3 13:27:01 UTC 2007

What part of eAccelerator are you trying to use?
If you are trying to get the PHP script caching/optimizations to work,
do remember to make the cache folder publicly writable. It doesn't
matter where you put it.(just don't put it in /tmp because those get
wiped on most servers if you restart). But if you are having troubles
with this, it's not a MediaWiki problem, It's a eAccelerator
installation problem because the script caching functions have nothing
to do with the scripts themselves. eAccelerator handles that in
conjunction with php and your webserver. Do note that it does look like
your script cache is already working, there really isn't ever much need
for anything other than that out of eAccelerator.

If you are trying to get the data cache to work to cache MediaWiki
stuff. What else do you have installed? Do you have Memcached? Do
remember that eAccelerator is a mere backup for doing this kind of
thing. If you have Memcached (recomended) like we do, then MediaWiki
will try to use Memcached, then whatever data cache is in your optimizer
(eAccelerator, Turk MMcache, etc...), and then fall back to it's own
caching methods. We have Memcached and eAccelerator installed, and
because of Memcached I've never seen anything get into eAccelerator in
my life. I wouldn't consider it a proper place to be doing data caching.
(Do note that the installer also does say that it's not installed)

~Daniel Friesen(Dantman) of The Gaiapedia, Wikia Graphical Entertainment Project, and Wiki-Tools.com