[Mediawiki-l] Purging 'Mediawiki messages' from memcached

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 3 08:56:31 UTC 2007

Carlos Jorge Andrade wrote:
> Accidentaly it seems that the mediawiki messages (seen in
> Special:Allmessages) from a development server ended up on the live
> memcached servers. Now the live servers are displaying messages from
> the development database (memcached content).
> I can confirme this because if I turn off the memcached option in
> LocalSettings all comes back to normal... the correct messages are
> displayed.
>
> Using ?action=purge on the Special:Allmessages won't do nothing as
> also setting $wgCacheEpoch to a future date.
>
> Is there a way to purge this content from the memchached servers, or
> ultimately all pages ? How can I reset this ?

Easy way to clear memcached is to kill and restart it. :)

If you know the key to use, you can also connect directly to it via
telnet or through maintenance/mcc.php and issue the command to delete
like so:

DELETE wikidb:messages

The first bit there should be your wiki's database name generally.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)