[Mediawiki-l] A Wiki Anoyance

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:46:54 UTC 2007

Caucci, Joe wrote:
> Hi fellow wikiholics,
>
> I'm new to the mailing list. I realized today that when you click Edit
> on a page you can see all the templates used on the page.
>
> What's anoying is that this only works with "page edit" and not when you
> just click to edit a section. Which means you have to do at least 2 more
> clicks after realizing that a template is being used and you'd like to
> edit the template.
>
> Is there anyway around this problem? I want to see my page templates no
> matter what edit I click on. And I'd like to not have to hack any php if
> possible.
>
> Joe

I don't think so. The information about which templates are used come
from the database. From what was saved last time, not from the content
you're seeing now. You can see eg. templates which are not directly
included in the page, but come from several template-including levels.

Also, there're some weird cases:
{{template1|text=
==Section 1==
Lorem ipsum dolor
}}{{template2|text=
==Section 2==
sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
}}

Now, if you edit section 1, you get
==Section 1==
Lorem ipsum dolor
}}{{template2|text="

What's the expected used-templates output?

On the other hand, you could easily produce some 'simple' template list,
even with Javascript. Making section editing show all templates *on the
full page* would be easy, too.