[Mediawiki-l] Batch overwriting of existing images?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Fri Apr 27 17:25:06 UTC 2007

Can anyone suggest an easy way to do an 'import' of (many) images that
are actually updates of previously existing images (and have the same
names)? Even if I modify the first existence test in the importImages
script, I'm guessing that the statement,
    $image->recordUpload( '', 'Importing image file' )
will still fail because the database (or other MW code) will prevent
overwriting of an existing file by another file.

At the moment the best way I can think of to do this is to simply write
a script that would go through the 'images' directory and a directory of
the new images, and replace on the basis of names. Even there, I'm not
sure if the metadata will change appropriately, nor if it needs to.

Thanks,
Ken