[Mediawiki-l] PROBLEM - PHP 5.1

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:10:28 UTC 2007

On 27/04/07, Eduardo de Lagrenge <lagrenge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any version of Wiki that runs on that version? or is there any way
> to put the current Wiki version runing on that version?

The last version of MediaWiki that supports PHP 4.x is 1.6.10. Support
for the 1.6.x branch is scheduled to end when MediaWiki 1.10 is
released, although it might be supported on an unofficial basis for a
bit longer; see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle. Note
that it isn't possible to run MediaWiki 1.7.0 and upwards on PHP 4.x
as features of PHP 5.x are required.

I would strongly recommend looking for a provider who [a] doesn't
actually present a load of bull shit as an excuse for not wanting to
damage compatibility with their other clients and [b] gives the option
to use PHP 5, even if it means some .htaccess hacking, etc.

> This PHP version is more secure than you or your client will ever know. It's
> the latest 4.4.x version, with mod_security rules, adding an extra layer of
> protection, personally coded by me. This PHP version is secure.

mod_security rules that are probably very jumpy, meaning your wiki
would have problems saving pages with "dangerous" titles or content.

> Are you really trying to tell me they cant find a secure version that runs
> on 4.4.6? Not true.

"Secure version?" No, we just stopped supporting an ancient version of
PHP and started using some of the better features provided in the
newer versions to allow us to write better code.

Rob Church