[Mediawiki-l] How to close the wiki talk page to spammers.

Ian Smith ismith at good.com
Tue Apr 24 20:58:18 UTC 2007

Caitlin Dempsey:

> I keep having a problem with spammers creating variations on the
w/wiki
> talk
> page.  For example, the last spammer create this page to fill with
spam:

> Talk:W/wiki/Talk:W/wiki/Talk:W/wiki/Talk:W/wiki/Talk:Index.php
>
> Is there anyway to prevent this?

I guess you mean, stop people making new pages under "Talk:W/"?  The
problem, of course, is that there's a very large number of variations on
a theme they can use, starting with "Talk:X/".  If you stop one hole,
they'll just move to another.

Maybe you want to disable all page creation by anons?  See

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Preventing_Access#Restrict_page_creation

Ian