[Mediawiki-l] Upload security

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 20:24:40 UTC 2007

You could try some of the stuff on the talk page (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Documentation:Security#Download_Securitysounds
like what you want), but, ultimately, I would just be careful with
the allowed file extensions: You don't want untrusted users being able to
upload PHP files!  Also, see if you can avoid giving world and group write
permissions on the upload directory.

On 4/22/07, Eric K <ek79501 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm reading this:
>   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Security#Upload_security
>
>   I still want to make the system as safe as possible so that a hacker can
> never upload anything malicious and run it. Our server was compromised but
> that was through someone who was using an unsafe CMS.
>
>   Is there anything like, setting the Uploads directory to a directory
> that is outside the WWW root, so even if a hacker uploads a scipt, he cant
> run it using the browser, because its not accessible?
>
>   And also I guess we should set the permissions of that directory to be
> non-executable, but writebable by all?
>
>   thanks
>   Eric

Emufarmers Sangly