[Mediawiki-l] Wikipedia Like Categories.

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 02:35:27 UTC 2007

On 19/04/07, Connolly, Wayne <Wayne.Connolly at team.telstra.com> wrote:
> >> Q: Can you have closed user categories/groups?
>
> >Do you mean categories that only sysops can add items to? No.
> >It's not clear what you're trying to ask.
>
> Closed User Goups. We would like to force that only certain users (we
> don't mind selecting them manually or via LDAP) can view/add/edit a
> category.
>
> This company has many groups(as most do) and it would not serve to
> reason to allow, for instance, a level one tech support to
> create/edit/view certain Human Resources or Legals
> documents/information/policy pages.
>
> I am not talking about sysops. I think I am talking about segregating
> viewing/editing/adding privelidges in certain categories from
> individuals or groups.

Then probably MediaWiki, and probably wikis in general, are not the
right tool for this.

As cool as they are, they work naturally best when everyone or almost
everyone have the same editing and viewing rights. Twisting MW into
unnatural contortions is not likely to be fun to program.

You could have separate wikis for each group, and control the login
access to those wikis by these groups you mention.

Anyway that said, there are a LOT of extensions that try to give the
kind of control you want. Check out
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Page_Access_Control_Extensions
.

cheers