[Mediawiki-l] Newbie questions about ServerName and URL / virtual hosting

Dafydd James dafydd at cantab.net
Thu Apr 19 13:16:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm a total MediaWiki newbie and new to this list, so forgive me if either
of these questions have been asked before.

1) I operate a Debian machine on which I would like to install several
instances of MediaWiki. The instances will use different URLs and different
database connections. Is this possible? Is there anything to watch out for?
Is there any online documentation related specifically to this subject?

2) Secondly, one of the instances will be accessed via a virtual host.
However, the hostname is not yet ready. Can I install MediaWiki at one URL
then access it via another URL when the hostname is ready to point at my
machine? The reason I am asking is because MediaWiki claims to rely on the
ServerName in the apache config for some reason - if I set up the virtual
host, the ServerName will change, I just want to know if this will have any
adverse effects.

I.e. to begin with, I will use http://www.myhost.com/xxx/mediawiki/ and then
later on I will use http://bla.xxx.com/mediawiki/ when the owner of
xxx.comsets up