[Mediawiki-l] Wikipedia Like Categories.

Connolly, Wayne Wayne.Connolly at team.telstra.com
Thu Apr 19 12:35:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:10:55 +1000 "Brianna Laugher"
<brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

>Telstra is using MediaWiki, huh? Very cool! :)

Thanks Brianna, It was a one man (me) project which after I finished
with our group got gobbled up by the corporate behemoth that all
companies must endure.

Categories: Thank-you. Solved. You are a gem.

>> Q: Can you have closed user categories/groups?

>Do you mean categories that only sysops can add items to? No.
>It's not clear what you're trying to ask.

Closed User Goups. We would like to force that only certain users (we
don't mind selecting them manually or via LDAP) can view/add/edit a
category.

This company has many groups(as most do) and it would not serve to
reason to allow, for instance, a level one tech support to
create/edit/view certain Human Resources or Legals
documents/information/policy pages.

I am not talking about sysops. I think I am talking about segregating
viewing/editing/adding privelidges in certain categories from
individuals or groups.

I have looked at socialtext.com and they (google-esque blade rack. bleh)
seem to be able to do this and this is based on mediawiki.

Since yesterday this has become a huge issue that I am highly concerned
with. By the end of next week this will become unmanagable and the
project will be shut down by my own hand which will be a great win for
me professionally(although a personal dissapointment) but a loss for the
company ?-|

Any ideas?

Regards,
Wayne