[Mediawiki-l] ProtectSection.php extension

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Tue Apr 17 21:03:30 UTC 2007

It installed all right (after I got my typos fixed). It did not allow editing when I was not logged in. It does not respect the <nowiki> tag, or perhaps the nowiki tag does not recognize it.

"==Protect section==
:It works when I am not logged in, but gives no warning that the section is protected until after the edit is attempted. Of course, one can see the tag, if one is looking for it. [[User:Fred Bauder|Fred]] 16:52, 17 April 2007 (EDT)"

Shows as:

"Protect section

I have added an extension to the /extensions folder ProtectSection.php see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ProtectSection Supposedly it will by use of the tags (section protected) protect the section between the beginning and ending tags. This should be useful for signed articles, copyright notices, and links back to Wikipedia. Please test and comment. FJB 16:49, 17 April 2007 (EDT) "

I guess it must be this way, otherwise it could be defeated by the simple addition of nowiki tags inclosing the protected section. However it does present a problem in explaining the tag.

This was tried on a system which has a robust, and troublesome, caching system, ibiblio. Seemed to take effect immediately.

Fred