[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki NG mailing list set up

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Apr 14 05:31:18 UTC 2007

Hello all -

as part of our discussions around the feature set of MediaWiki for
educators which took place from April 11-13 in Vancouver, we realized
that several groups & companies that are currently using MediaWiki
(including some who were present) have identical needs. Sometimes,
work is done in parallel and redundantly.

For example, Wikia has done work around WYSIWYG editing. WikiEducator
has a strong need for it, and the folks at CK-12 are also
investigating the possibilities. Should we launch a development effort
together, it needs to be coordinated.

The wikitech-l and mediawiki-l lists are very busy with day-to-day
work, so we felt it makes sense to have a focused place for
coordination of "next generation" MediaWiki development projects,
small and large, that (may) involve multiple partners. Hence, there is
now a MediaWiki NG (next generation) mailing list. We can also use it
to think about funding strategies, though the list archives are at
this point public.

It is emphatically not a "blue sky" list for wild ideas; those belong
on wikitech-l and Meta. It's about: We want feature set X - we are
willing to contribute an amount/join a funding proposal/add a
developer to a team working on it. It's about figuring out specs,
timetables & roadmaps.

The list is at:

Right now it's set to moderator approval for new subscription. If you
want on, drop Brion a line about your organization & needs and how you
could contribute to dev activities, and he'll add you to the list. If
you're a dev who just wants to follow what's going on, provide advice
& participate, you're also welcome of course. But I suggested making
it initially mod-approved to ensure that people read a long email like
this one that explains the purpose of the list, and that it remains
focused on getting things done. ;-) It would be easy to confuse this
with a "brainstorming list", which it is not.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic