[Mediawiki-l] getting the OpenID extension working

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:24:03 UTC 2007

Hello,

Hoping I might be able to get some advice from others who might have
this extension installed. (
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID )

My wiki:
    *  MediaWiki: 1.9.3
    * PHP: 5.2.0 (cgi-fcgi)
    * MySQL: 5.0.24a-standard-log
OpenID (version 0.6.1)

Like someone else who commented on the talk page of the extension,
with the extension installed I wasn't able to view user pages (500
errors). Commenting out the block of code as that user suggested did
fix the problem... hope it wasn't important :)

So that is one problem. Another is that I can't actually successfully
log on with an open ID. :(

http://www.brunsbug.dreamhosters.com/linguaphiles_podcast/index.php?title=Special:OpenIDLogin

In one case when I use one from Livejournal, it sends me to
Livejournal and asks me to confirm, and I click OK, and it sends me
back to my site and just says 'Verification failed'.
When I tried with another ID from myopenid, it just said 'Verification
failed' without even taking me to the myopenid site.

if anyone else wants to try, and they happen to succeed, please let me know ;)

So... I have no idea why it's failing and no idea how to try and figure out why.
I compiled my PHP with bcmath rather than gmp (I couldn't manage to install it).
I installed PEAR and the Auth_OpenID library thing, but I'm not sure
if Yadis was installed as well. The extension doc notes:  "The OpenID
*should* install the Yadis library as well, if you install it using
Pear." How can I check if it did? (I'm only familiar with php through
MediaWiki)

Oh and my relevant LocalSettings.php:

ini_set(
'include_path',
ini_get( 'include_path' ) . PATH_SEPARATOR . "/home/briannalaugher/pear/php"
);

/* needed because of PHP5 PEAR stuff. this says 'use my local PEAR' (I think) */
set_include_path(
get_include_path() .
PATH_SEPARATOR . '/usr/local/lib/php'
);

require_once("extensions/OpenID/OpenID.php");
$wgOpenIDConsumerDenyByDefault = false;
$wgTrustRoot = "http://www.brunsbug.dreamhosters.com/linguaphiles_podcast/";

Thanks for any advice!

cheers