[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:25:48 UTC 2007

On 12/04/07, Monahon, Peter B. <Peter.Monahon at uspto.gov> wrote:
> "run php"

PHP is, I assume, running, given that you claim to have installed
MediaWiki. If you mean to run the PHP command-line interpreter, then
this is done...from the command line. Typically, the path to the PHP
binary is already in your shell path; if this is not the case, then
you can either use an absolute path as standard, or add it to the
path.

Some Unix builds of PHP don't include the CLI if it's been switched
off during the configuration process; some packages don't include it,
but will allow it to be installed in the same manner as modules such
as MySQL support often are. Windows binary distributions typically
include the CLI as standard.

> "log in as admin"

Click on the "log in" link at the top right of the page or enter
"Special:Userlogin" in the search box and click "Go", then enter the
username and password of a user with administrative permissions and
click "Log In".

During MediaWiki installation, the configuration script prompts for a
username and password for the first administrator, which is also a
bureaucrat user capable of altering user group membership. If, for
some reason, you don't know the username to use, then check the
"Special:Listadmins" page for a list of users with administrator
permissions and find out. If, for some reason, you can't remember the
password you supplied, then search the FAQ or mediawiki-l mailing list
archives for information on manual password resets.

Rob Church