[Mediawiki-l] Malicious content deleting bots

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Thu Apr 12 03:45:12 UTC 2007

 From my limited experience managing a couple of bbs systems (2 phpBB
and one vBulletin), the captcha reduces but does not come close to
eliminating spammers.  While I don't know for sure that these are
bots, I suspect that they are based on how they show up on the
different unrelated bbs systems at the same time even though some are
on different servers.  I believe there are at least two approaches
that are known to defeat captchas.  One involves image analysis while
the other involves mirroring the captcha onto a page promising free
"stuff".  Alas, I imagine that vandals have access to the same
technology as spammers.

Jim