[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wikisetup-and-configure instruction manual?

Michael Daly mikedaly at magma.ca
Wed Apr 11 19:50:38 UTC 2007

Monahon, Peter B. wrote:

> Peter Blaise responds: Oh?  How so?  After using Wikipedia for a while
> now, I built one on my own and have ~1/2 a million words in ~4,500
> [Edit]able paragraphs ...
> <smarta** on> what was the *first* thing I should do, again?  </smarta**
> off>
> Seriously, Ian, I think most people read as much as they can find and
> believe they need to get started, then troubleshoot anything that needs
> attention from there.  Sadly, by teaching ourselves, we can hardly be
> expected to get smarter than our masters.  ;-)

With all due respect, you're bordering on obtuse.

There are other forums besides this mailing list.  You can find other
"teachers" there easily enough.  I found some by googling "mediawiki
forum".  There are lots of folks that have the same basic problems and
others who help out.

Many of us have walked the same road you're on and found our way without
  seeming to be offensive or demanding.  While I know that you're not
likely to find what you want on the first attempt, learning to use
google or another search engine and perusing the wiki docs online plus
the various fora will eventually produce results.  If it didn't there'd
only be one Mediawiki installation in the world.

> (Does anyone want to explain the difference between the [GO]
> button and the [Search] button underneath the [__________] search
> window, by the way?)

 From my wiki:
<http://en.kayakwiki.org/index.php/KayakWiki:Searching>