[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Michael Daly mikedaly at magma.ca
Tue Apr 10 22:03:54 UTC 2007

Monahon, Peter B. wrote:

> It's like teaching someone how to drive a
> car and explaining the steering wheel like this: "turn the steering
> wheel by rotating clockwise or anticlockwise".  Hello, isn't there
> something missing in that?

You don't learn to drive by building a car.  If you want to learn how a
wiki works, use a wiki - don't install and administer a wiki until you
have learned that much.  There are plenty of wikis out there - Wikipedia
has essentially every feature you will find in Mediawiki.

I learned to use a wiki before I installed one.  That made life a lot
easier.

Believe me, I can understand your frustration with open source software.
  It is universally poorly documented.  It helps to think like a
programmer to understand what is documented and sometimes you have to
open up the code to make sense of it.  Life's like that - programmers
write code, they don't write documentation.

However, I cannot accept your attitude, since it sounds like you think
someone owes you something.  If you want a product that comes with full
support, find someone you can pay to get it.  Please don't whine to the
volunteers, that will be very counterproductive.

Mike