[Mediawiki-l] Status of wysiwyg editors for mw1.9?

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Tue Apr 10 21:31:31 UTC 2007

>> In this regard, here's some food for thought that might be of interest:
>> http://wikieducator.org/Talk:Tectonic_shift_think_tank#WikiGUI
>
> I`d go 'two ways': a basic editor that just allows simple formatting and
 > a full fledged syntax-highlightning editor for the maintainers/admins.
>
> Any approach to make a casual user who eg. just wants/has to write some meeting  > minutes in the wiki would not accept the syntaxhighlightning
approach (imho/ime)

I wouldn't agree with that, for the reasons stated on that wiki page -
but that might need to be analyzed in a usability study...

> The cheat-sheet i`m currently using is extremely simple

> The hard part is to get people used to:
> a) closing tags
> b) memorizing syntax

As for B - maybe a the cheat sheet abridged version of the cheat sheet
should be put below the edit box (e.g. in
[[MediaWiki:Copyrightwarning]]) to serve as an immediate reference.

> PDF/ODF Export et.al. finally convinced him.

Actually, I'm struggling with moving various documentation projects to
the wiki, as they need to be printed out (and possibly refined in a word
processor), which is not as easy as I thought it was - especially when
using subpages for chapters...

But hold on, did you say ODF export? How? Where?

> A 'manager' supervising the project two hours a week detects something he does not
 > like in the docu.
> [...]
> There is absolutely NO way to make this person using wikicode

Very good example - I'll keep that in mind!
(Though he might actually be willing to use wiki markup if he could just
copy the "huge red part" from another section of the page - which is
where the Wiki Markup Highlighting might come in handy... )

> thanks for the input

Hey, it's a mutual learning experience here (the true wiki spirit... )!

-- F.