[Mediawiki-l] Storing or Linking Documents

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:39:01 UTC 2007

On 09/04/07, Dave Sigafoos <davesigafoos at sanmar.com> wrote:
> I get it.  You are a MS hater and that is cool.  I am not that fond of
> them either which is why we use OpenOffice in our business and on my
> systems at home.  But the simple fact is that there are millions of
> users.  Some of them are clients.

No, it's true - Microsoft are known to keep changing their proprietary
formats, and it is fair to state that this interferes with anybody
trying to interpret them for any purpose, legitimate or otherwise.

> Of course right now it doesn't really matter as the only TYPE is IMAGE
> and MW doesn't appear to be able to search on it (which makes sense if
> the only type I wanted to store was IMAGE.

David, from what I gather, you keep stating that we can't "search on
(images)" but you haven't said what you'd actually like the software
to be able to do. It may be possible to add some sort of extensible
mechanism for MediaWiki to be able to index uploads in some fashion;
if that's what you want, then endorse it.

All I can see is a bunch of "MediaWiki can't even do this, it sucks"
type comments from various quarters, none of which are making the
problem clear enough for us to understand.

Rob Church