[Mediawiki-l] [Wikitech-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 18:56:24 UTC 2007

Hi Peter,

It's best to ask only the MediaWiki mailing list about this rather
than cc'ing the Wikitech list which is meant for Wikimedia's own
projects rather than external projects that use MediaWiki.

There's a FAQ at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ and
MediaWiki forums at http://mwusers.com/ which you may find answer some
of your questions.

> 1 - Sign in as admin.  Is that so hard?  How do I sign in as admin?

Go to [[Special:Userlogin]] on your wiki. You will have created an
admin account when you installed MediaWiki. If you don't remember that
user's name, try looking at [[Special:Listadmins]] on your wiki to see
if there is anyone with admin access. If not, you'll need to add that
via the database.

> 2 - Make others sign-in as lesser-editors and contributors.  I need to
> see how hierarchies of user-capabilities work before I go live.

Other users should be able to create normal accounts at [[Special:Userlogin]].

> 3 - Lock parts of article contents so users can add to them but not
> delete the locked part, admins can change anything.

You can only lock an entire article, not part of it. A way around that
is to add content to a template and lock the template. For example,
put your content at [[Template:Main]] and type {{main}} on a page to
include that content there.

> 4 - Change/customize a few visual things, like the sidebar.

The sidebar can be edited by any admin at [[MediaWiki:Sidebar]].

Angela

--
Angela Beesley
Wikia.com