[Mediawiki-l] Storing or Linking Documents

Dave Sigafoos davesigafoos at sanmar.com
Thu Apr 5 22:41:33 UTC 2007

We have a *need* to be able to access existing documentation in the
wiki.  This documentation may be in the form of .doc, .xls, .odt etc.

I would like to be able to external link to these documents but have not
found a way to do this.  In searching the archives I have found some
discussions but nothing definitive.  We are still searching and reading
but if someone has a link that says 'hey .. stupid .. look here -->' I
would be appreciative.

What we have tried.

1 ) We know that we can 'upload' these documents into wiki by extending
the allowed 'media' types.  My guess is adding all these document types
to the wiki might cause some size issues.  Though I like that it notes
the changes

It is funny on the page for the uploaded document it says
IMAGE:document_name.  Other than this it appears to work well.  The only
problem that the users have with this is that if they want to make a
change to the document they have to save locally then upload again.
Doesn't bother me but .. users

2) We have tried adding file:// to the accepted list, and this almost
works.  It shows correctly as a link (as long as I %20 all the spaces).
But the link doesn't do anything.

If in IE or FF I file:///c:/Read%20Inventory%20and%20Prices.txt in the
address bar then it opens right and displays.  If it is
file://c:\Technical%20Design%20Template.dot then we get the 'open or
save' dialog box.  Which is fine.  If we make a change and then save we
have to direct it back to itself (opens a a new document .. not
"c:\Technical Design Template.dot".

But these external links will not work if used through a wiki page.  You
can click and click and click .. but nothing happens.

I am sure that I must be missing a setting and wonder what it could be.

So as I said, if someone knows a good 'Links for dummys' link .. link me
to it.

Thanks

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation