[Mediawiki-l] multilanguage in single project

Paul Coghlan pcoghlan at usa.net
Thu Apr 5 20:54:54 UTC 2007

I am setting up MW 1.9.3 in the next several days for English, Italian and
Spanish as follows:

New en, it and es folders off the /wiki folder. A copied LocalSettings.php
file in each sub folder. New tables in the database with different prefixes;
en_, it_ and es_.  The new LocalSettings.php files edited to look at these
new tables.

Apache aliases to ensure domain.com/it/Milano refers to the index.php in the
mother folder (/wiki). This in turn will use the /it LocalSettings.php for
the Italian wiki.

I will post results as they are available but in theory this should allow
multiple languages on a single MW installation with distinct wikis. This
removes issues with version control and extension management.

To give credit where credit is due this configuration came from Jim Wilson.

Paul