[Mediawiki-l] Interwiki links won't work with latin1_bin

Christian Lerrahn lists at penpal4u.net
Sat Sep 30 14:26:58 UTC 2006

Hi,
I posted about my interwiki links not working about 3 months ago.
Meanwhile I've figured out what the problem was and am wondering if I
should consider this a bug or not. My databases used to run on
latin1_swedish_ci (default latin1) collations which was also the case
for older wikis on the same box. However, if I install Mediawiki now,
I'll get latin1_bin collations and with these interwiki links won't
work any more. As soon as I switch back to latin1_swedish_ci on the
column "iw_prefix" in the interwiki table, the links will work again.
Is this behaviour intentional or not? (BTW, my MySQL server runs on a
UTF-8 default.)

Cheers,
Christian