[Mediawiki-l] Hang up during installation...

Dylan Kennet diellan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:16:32 UTC 2006

I'm trying to install MediaWiki 1.7.1 and the process hangs partway
through. After the "Initializing Data..." part, it just cuts off. My
Apache error logs report nothing, and when I did some debugging, I
found that it hangs on line 820 on config/index.php:
$u = User::newFromName( $conf->getSysopName() );
Delving into that, the problem was specifically in the newFromName()
function...
A bunch of delving into that led me to line 461 on
include/Database.php . Oddly enough, if I change the new_link part of
mysql_connect() to be false, the install finishes (but then I get
blank screens whenever I try to use the resulting wiki).

It's entirely possible that there is some setting in php that is
causing this problem, but I don't know where to look. As said before,
nothing shows in my error logs, and I do have display_errors set to
on.

As is the norm, here is the text of the install page:

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.

* PHP 5.1.4 installed
* Found database drivers for: MySQL
* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator nor APC are installed, can't
use object caching functions
* GNU diff3 not found.
* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
* Installation directory: /home/wheeloft/public_html/wiki
* Script URI path: /wiki
* Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
* Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.

Generating configuration file...
* Database type: MySQL
* Attempting to connect to database server as wheeloft_wikiuse...success.
* Connected to 5.0.24-standard
* Database wheeloft_wiki exists

Warning: mysql_query() [http://www.mysql.com/doc]: Table
'wheeloft_wiki.wot_cur' doesn't exist in
/home/wheeloft/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php on line 620

Warning: mysql_query() [http://www.mysql.com/doc]: Table
'wheeloft_wiki.wot_revision' doesn't exist in
/home/wheeloft/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php on line 620
* Creating tables... using MySQL 4 table defs... done.
* Initializing data...