[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki-Based Issue Tracker

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Tue Sep 12 15:53:29 UTC 2006

> Thanks for the replies / comments about using Semediawiki everyone
>
> Not sure I'm going to go the semediawiki route (only using MW 1.5.6...
> don't have time to install a bunch of extensions)
>
> Was looking at Tom's original post again -- based on what he
> describes, couldn't this be done really easily with categories?
>
> If each bug ticket is a wiki article, with an assigned status couldn't
> the bugs just be created like normal wiki articles and put into a
> specific status category?  And have all the status catgeories as
> subcategories of a Bugs category?  That way to see what bugs are in a
> particular status, one could just view the category page for that?
>
> To get fancy, to create the new Bugs -- Inputbox extension could be
> used to create page with PRELOAD switch which I just discovered .....
> using a template to include the bug in the Status:Open category Then
> changing a bug's status and moving them around would be as easy as
> changing the category....
>
> Just thinking on the fly here -- if you read down this far - -what do
> you think?  Tom?

Yes, you're right, I could do basically what I want with Categories and
sub-categories.  I'm not very familiar with MW yet, but I'm assuming I
could even build a "dashboard" page that would dynamically show every
"ticket" with a status of open and pending and whatever.  Also, this is
basically what I did with MoinMoin, although it treats categories more
like tabs than actual categories (which has advantages and disadvantages
in this situation).

Having said that, I've pretty much fallen in love with the Semantic
MediaWiki extension from a theoretical perspective.  I love the idea
that I can add attributes and relations to a wiki.  It really provides
the "development environment" for a wiki app that I've been looking for
for a couple of years now.  Also, I've already found other applications
for this plugin that I believe will be very useful.

So yes, I'm still pushing ahead with using SMW as the base for my issue
tracker.  If that doesn't work out, then I'll try the categories-only
solution.

Thanks again!

Tom Purl