[Mediawiki-l] How to set up page owners

James Mohr mediawiki at jimmo.com
Thu Sep 7 14:18:46 UTC 2006

Hi All!

I would to set up a system where each page has an owner. This owner can then
assign access rights to the page. In the first phase, all I really want is
that the owner can specify who can edit the page. In fact, for the start, it
could be as simply as an on-off switch where editing it allowed or not.

The first thing that comes to mind is a new data table (I am not happy with
the idea of editing existing tables). The table could have fields like this:

ownerID:pageID:edit_on

Where ownerID is the userID of the owner and edit_on is either 0 or 1.
Expanding this idea, I could have:

ownerID:pageID:AuthorID:privileges

Where AuthorID is another UserID and privileges is simply a bitmap (a la UNIX
chmod) which indicates what the AuthorCan do to the page (read, edit,
delete?).

I would prefer not to reinvent the wheel. So, if a mechanism exists aleady
that is even close to that functionality, I would really appreaciate a shove
in the right direction.

Regards,

jimmo
--
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your