[Mediawiki-l] Substituting Template Content On Page Creation

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Wed Sep 6 18:28:49 UTC 2006

I have a wiki Template called Template:BigDoc with something like the
following:

    This is the top of the document.

    Field Value A: (fill in a value)
    Field Value B: (fill in a value)

    This is the bottom line of the document.

I would like to create a document based on Template:BigDoc multiple times
a day.  This is how I currently do that:

1. Create a new document.
2. Enter the following into the document:
   * {{subst:BigDoc}}
3. Save that document.
4. Re-edit that document
5. I then see my template text, which I edit.

It would be nice if I could eliminate a couple of these steps when
creating a document based on a template.  Ideally, I would even like to be
able to start editing a document based on a template using one click.

Does anyone know if this is possible with MediaWiki?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Purl