[Mediawiki-l] to require login or not

Andy Roberts aroberts at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:22:10 UTC 2006

On 02/09/06, gmu 2k6 <gmu2006 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running a wiki at work and a coworker asked me to require login
> for any article editing so that he can see who created/modified the
> article. my point is that the barrier to surf-by-editing is too high with
> logins required. then he said that people can use Cookies to be
> logged in always.
>
> what do you guys think? I'm trying to form a well-informed opinion
> for the discussion.

I think that even in a limited internal corporate environment it will
be more fruitful to allow edits from users who are not logged in. That
way people have the option to contribute ideas which are judged on
their own merit rather than according to the idenity of the
contributor. Most people will want to be logged in and have their
words attributed, but the extra contributions from anonymous editors
will add more value which would otherwise be lost.

--
Andy Roberts

http://distributedresearch.net/blog/