[Mediawiki-l] What is XAMPP actually for?

Jens Peter Möller mediawiki-l at phpug-hamburg.de
Mon Oct 30 08:35:03 UTC 2006

Richard Cooper schrieb:
> I installed XAMPP whilst trying to set up a MediaWiki wiki on my website,
> but I don't actually know what it's for.

You install software without any knowledge of it?
And was are not able to find any information what XAMPP is?

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

> Can someone explain what XAMPP does so I can judge whether I
> need to keep it or not,

Among other things, MediaWiki needs a webserver software, PHP and MySQL.
If you don't have these things, you can install XAMPP.
But the question can't be answered at all whitout further information
about your PC/Server, your OS, and so on.

regards
JPM