[Mediawiki-l] What is XAMPP actually for?

Jérémie Bouillon jeremie at shadowfrance.net
Mon Oct 30 08:12:51 UTC 2006

Richard Cooper wrote:
> I installed XAMPP whilst trying to set up a MediaWiki wiki on my website,
> but I don't actually know what it's for. I found the instructions for
> setting up my wiki quite confusing and I think I was looking at the wrong
> page for what I wanted to do. It also seems to have slowed down my PC a
> great deal. Can someone explain what XAMPP does so I can judge whether I
> need to keep it or not, as if not I'd like to uninstall it.

XAMPP is one of the many package that are supposed to easily install :
Apache (the web server software), MySQL, PHP, Perl

See : http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html (first answer on Google
by the way).

These (except Perl) are the softwares (or tools, or "bricks") you need
for MediaWiki to work on your local computer.

--
http://shadowrun.fr