[Mediawiki-l] multiple wikis sharing ONLY images

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Oct 28 18:00:49 UTC 2006

HeinzJ wrote:
> I would like to set up multiple wiki sharing only images.
>
> I see that different wikis can make use of images uploaded to the
> commons. Thats waht i would like to have.
>
> The problem imho is (?), that they have to share some parts of the
> database regarding images. How is that possible?

Normally, each hosted wiki will exist in its own database on the same
server.

The shared image host wiki (for instance Wikimedia Commons for our
installation) is one of these, and you will want to provide its database
name in $wgSharedUploadDBname.

If using multiple table prefixes in a single database, then you would
set $wgSharedUploadDBprefix as well.

Take a peek at the comments in DefaultSettings.php for these variables
and the settings around them for some more hints.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)