[Mediawiki-l] Section-Edits cause edit-conflicts

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 24 06:03:10 UTC 2006

Fokko wrote:
> I administer a few MediaWiki-installations. They are hosted on different
> (Webspace)-Server, and have different versions: 1.5x, 1.6x and 1.8x.
>
> When we make in one article two section-edits, we got an edit-conflict, although
>       we edited in different sections.

MediaWiki does conflict merging using the external utility diff3. This
is usually preinstalled standard on Linux and many Unix systems, and is
auto-detected.

Ensure that GNU diff3 is in fact present on the system, and make sure
$wgDiff3 is set to the complete path to the diff3 executable like so:

$wgDiff3 = "/usr/bin/diff3";

If you're running on Windows this might look something like:

$wgDiff3 = "C:\\Program Files\\cygwin\\bin\\diff3.exe";

Note that Solaris has a slightly funny diff3; I think there's a check
for it in the installer which either disables it or uses an alternate
GNU version that's present, I forget which.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)